Michael A. Carron is an assistant professor of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and division chief of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He graduated from Lyman Briggs School at Michigan State University and the University of Michigan Medical School. After successful completion of an internship in general surgery and a residency in Otolaryngology at Wayne State University and the Detroit Medical Center, he undertook additional fellowship training in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery at New York University School of Medicine. He is a diplomate of both the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology.
Dr. Carron's areas of expertise includes treating aging of the forehead and brow region, upper and lower eyelid excess, the aging face and neck, internal and external nasal deformity, nasal obstruction, and treatment of fine lines and wrinkles of the forehead and face and maxillofacial trauma. Dr. Carron also specializes in reconstructing skin cancer defects of the face and nose, treating soft tissue injuries of the face and improving the appearance of scars.
“Physician of the Quarter” Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center May-June 2013
Skin Cancer Reconstruction
Dermabrasion and Chemical Peel
Repair of partial and total ear loss
Cheek and chin augmentation
Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center. Detroit, MI Intern in Surgery. -7/2002-06/2003.
Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center. Detroit, MI Resident in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 7/2003-6/2007.
New York University School of Medicine and New York Presbyterian Hospital (Weill Cornell Medical Center). Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery. Fellow Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery. 7/2007-7/208.
GRANTS: (last 5 years)
2013 Co-I with Giancarlo Zuliani, M.D. "Use of Cyanoacrylate to Salvage Endotines in Endoscopic Browlifting" Microaire Corporation. $3,500.00
2012 Facial Plastic Surgery Cadaver Course, Detroit MI. Synthes CMF. $3,000
2010 Co-I with Cynthia Bir Ph.D. "Biomechanical analysis of Absorbable Plate and Screw Fixation of fractures with the Sonic Weld system". KLS Martin. $4,300.00
(last five years)
8. Svider PF, Mauro AC, Eloy JA, Setzen M, Carron MA, Folbe AJ. Malodorous Consequences: What Comprises Negligence in Anosmia Litigation? International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology March 2014; 4(3): 216-22. Doi: 10.1002/alr.21257. Epub 2014 Jan 2. PMID: 24395721
9. Svider PF, Johnson AP, Folbe AJ, Carron MA, Eloy JA. Zuliani G. Assault by Battery: Battery-Related Injury in the Head and Neck. Laryngoscope; Published Online March 24, 2014 [doi: 10.1002/lary.24686]. PMID: 24659384.
10. Carron M, Zuliani G, Pereira L, Abuhamdan M, Thibault A, Dau N, Bir C. Stability of midface fracture repair using absorbable plate and screw system pilot holes drilled and pin placement at angles other than 90 degrees. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2014 Jan-Feb;16(1):42-8. doi: 10.1001/jamafacial.2013.1404. PMID: 24158595
11. Iyer SP, Movva K, Wiebel M, Chandrasekar P, Alangaden G, Carron M, Tranchida P, Revankar SG. Cryptococcal meningitis presenting as sinusitis in a renal transplant recipient. Transpl Infect Dis. 2013 Oct;15(5):E187-90. Epub 2013 Aug 27. PMID: 24034280.
12. Carron M, Zoumalan R, Pastorek N. Measured gain in projection with the extended columellar strut-tip graft in endonasal rhinoplasty. JAMA Facial Plastic Surg. 2013 May; 15(3):187-91. Doi: 10.1001/jamafacial.2013.718. PMID: 23450340
13. Shkoukani MA, Caughlin B, Pereira L, Carron M, Folbe A and Mathog RH. Mucoceles of the Paranasal Sinuses: a 10 Year Single Institution Review. J Otol Rhinol 2:1. doi:10.4172/2324-8785.1000113
20. Carron MA, Zoumalan RA*, Miller PJ, Shah AR. Biomechanical analysis of anchoring points in rhytidectomy. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2010 Jan-Feb;12(1):37-9.
Carron MA. Materials, Plating and Methods. Atlas of Craniofacial Trauma: 2nd Edition. Lippincott-Williams and Wilkins.
Carron MA. Scar Revision. Atlas of Craniofacial Trauma: 2nd Edition. Lippincott-Williams and Wilkins.
Zoumalan R, Carron MA, Miller PJ. Correction of the Deviated Dorsum. In: Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America; Daniel Becker Editor. 2009 Jun;42(3):579-86.
Atlas of Craniofacial Trauma: 2nd Edition. Carron, MA; Mathog RH; Shibuya T Editors. Lippincott-Williams and Wilkins.