Giancarlo Zuliani, M.D. is a double board certified surgeon who specializes in the treatment of aesthetic, functional, and reconstructive concerns in and around the head and neck.
Dr. Zuliani received his undergraduate degree at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. Following this he completed medical school, general surgery internship, and residency at Wayne State University. He was then selected as one of only 40 national and international applicants to gain acceptance to a prestigious American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship. After completing his training, sponsored by Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta GA, with one of the founders of the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Dr. Zuliani brought his expertise, talents, and experience and returned to his hometown, Detroit, MI. He is a diplomate of both the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology. He currently serves as the Residency Program Director and Assistant Professor in the department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Wayne State University School of Medicine.
Dr. Zuliani has given numerous award winning national presentations and has contributed many journal articles to the scientific literature. His current clinical and research efforts center around nasal function and aesthetics, minimally invasive cosmetic surgery, and the reconstruction of extensive skin cancer defects of the head and neck.
2013, 2014 “Detroit Super Doctors,” Health Insurance Marketplace
2012 “Guide to America’s Top Physicians,” Consumers’ Research Council of America
2012 Faculty Preceptor of the Ben Schuster Memorial Award presented to the best resident research project given at the annual AAFPRS meeting, Washington DC. Project entitled, Stability of midface fracture repair using absorbable plate and screw system pilot holes drilled and pin placement at angles other than 90 degrees.
2011-2013 Styleline Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Award “Best Facial Plastic Surgeon”
2011 First Place, Resident Research Award (faculty preceptor), Michigan Otolaryngological Society Annual Meeting. Project entitled, Stability of midface fracture repair using absorbable plate and screw system pilot holes drilled and pin placement at angles other than 90 degrees.
2012 Oakwood Hospital Everyday Heroes award for 2012
Surgical intern, 07/2003-06/2004 - Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center, Department of General Surgery, Detroit, MI
1. Co-I, “Use of Cyanoacrylate for Improved Stability in Endoscopic Brow Lifting.” MicroAire, 2013, $5000.
2. Ethicon surgical grant for Wayne State University Facial Plastics Course, 2011, $1000.
3. Co-I, “Biomechanical analysis of Absorbable Plate and Screw Fixation of fractures with the Sonic Weld system”. KLS Martin, 2010, $4,300.
(last 5 years)
1. Soares DJ, Dejoseph LM, Zuliani GF, Liebertz DJ, Patel VS*. Impact of Postreconstitution Room Temperature Storage on the Efficacy of IncobotulinumtoxinA Treatment of Dynamic Lateral Canthus Lines. Dermatol Surg. 2015 Jun;41(6):712-7. doi: 10.1097/DSS.0000000000000365. PMID: 25973563
2. Schwartz SJ1, Svider PF*2, Shah P2, Zuliani G3, Eloy JA4, Setzen M5, Folbe AJ2. Voicing an impact: who does the National Institutes of Health support for voice disorder research? Am J Otolaryngol. 2015 Mar-Apr;36(2):178-83. doi: 10.1016/j.amjoto.2014.10.026. Epub 2014 Oct 23.
3. Svider PF*, Eloy JA, Folbe AJ, Carron M, Zuliani G, Shkoukani M. Craniofacial Surgery and Adverse Outcomes: An Inquiry into Medical Negligence. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2015 Jan 16. pii: 0003489414567937. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25595141
4. Farida JP, Lawrence LA, Svider PF*, Shkoukani M, Zuliani G, Folbe AJ, Carron MA. Protecting the Airway and the Physician: Aspects of Litigation Arising from Tracheotomy.
Head Neck. 2014 Dec 18. doi: 10.1002/hed.23950. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:25524374
5. Heilbronn CM, Svider PF*, Folbe AJ, Shkoukani MA, Carron MA, Eloy JA, Zuliani G. Burns in the Head and Neck: A National Representative Analysis of Emergency Department Visits. Laryngoscope. 2015 Jan 30. doi: 10.1002/lary.25132. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25643641
6. Hojjat HH*, Johnson AP*, Svider PF*, Hong R, Zuliani G, Folbe AJ, Shkoukani M. Scholarly Investigation into Otitis Media: Who is Receiving NIH Funding Support? Laryngoscope. In Press December 2014).
7. Tsveti Markova, MD Lisa Dillon, PhD Pierre Morris, MD, Khalid Zakaria, MD Giancarlo Zuliani, MD, Outcomes Of An Institutional Quality And Safety Residency Program Initiative. Performance Improvement, vol. 53, no. 10, (13-21) November/December 2014. ©2014 International Society for Performance Improvement Published online in Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com) DOI: 10.1002/pfi.21444, 11/24/14, Revised: 7/29/15
8. Lawrence LA, Svider PF*, Raza SN, Zuliani G, Carron MA, Folbe AJ. Hockey Related Facial Injuries: A Population-‐Based Analysis. Laryngoscope. 2014 Aug 28. doi: 10.1002/lary.24893. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25169755 Collaborator, I was one of many faculty involved in conceptual design and manuscript review. First author is medical student. Impact Factor: 1.752.
9. Svider PF*, Sheyn A*, Folbe E, Sekhsaria V*, Zuliani G, Eloy JA, Folbe A. How did that get there? A Population-Based Analysis of Foreign Bodies. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2014 Nov;4(11):944-9. doi: 10.1002/alr.21396. Epub 2014 Sep 15. PMID: 25224397 Collaborator, I was one of many faculty involved in conceptual design and manuscript review. First author is trainee. Impact Factor: 2.371.
10. Svider PF*, Gupta A*, Johnson AP*, Zuliani G, Shkoukani MA, Eloy JA, Folbe AJ. Evaluation of Otolaryngology Program Websites? JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014 Oct;140(10):956-60. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2014.1714. PMID: 25188904 Collaborator, I was one of many faculty involved in conceptual design and manuscript review. First author is trainee. Impact Factor: 0.715.
11. Svider PF*, Jiron J*, Zuliani G, Shkoukani MA, Folbe AJ, Carron MA. Unattractive Consequences: Litigation from Facial Dermabrasion and Chemical Peel Procedures. Aesthet Surg J. 2014 Nov;34(8):1244-9. doi: 10.1177/1090820X14547948. Epub 2014 Aug 28. PMID: 25168155 Collaborator, I was one of many faculty involved in conceptual design and manuscript review. First author is trainee. Impact Factor: 1.469.
12. Svider PF*, Johnson AP*, Folbe AJ, Carron MA, Eloy JA, Zuliani G. Assault by Battery: Battery-Related Injury in the Head and Neck. Laryngoscope 2014 Oct; 124(10):2257-61. doi: 10.1002/lary.24686. Epub 2014 Jun 3. Published Online March 24, 2014 [doi 10.1002/lary.24686]. PMID: 24659384. Senior author, developed design, oversight of data collection and interpretation, reviewed manuscript. First author is trainee. Impact Factor: 1.752.
13. Folbe AJ, Svider PF*, Setzen M, Zuliani G, Lin HS, Eloy JA. Scientific inquiry into rhinosinusitis: Who is receiving funding from the National Institutes of Health? Laryngoscope. 2014 Jun;124(6):1301-7. doi: 10.1002/lary.24525. Epub 2014 Jan 8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24242361Collaborator, I was one of many faculty involved in conceptual design and manuscript review. Impact Factor: 1.752.
14. Carron M, Zuliani G, Pereira L, Abuhamdan M, Thibault A, Dau N, Bir C. Stability of midface fracture repair using absorbable plate and screw system pilot holes drilled and pin placement at angles other than 90 degrees. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2014;16(1):42-48. doi:10.1001/jamafacial.2013. PMID: 24158595 Senior co-author with Carron. Developed design, obtained grant, performed experiments, wrote manuscript, reviewed manuscript. Impact Factor: 0.963.
15. Kruper G*J, Vandegriend ZP*, Lin HS, Zuliani GF. Salvage of failed local and regional flaps with porcine urinary bladder extracellular matrix aided tissue regeneration. Case Rep Otolaryngol. 2013;2013:917183. doi: 10.1155/2013/917183. Epub 2013 Sep 26 PMID:24191216[PubMed] Senior author, developed design, oversight of data collection and interpretation, reviewed manuscript. First author is trainee.
16. Zuliani G, Narasimhan, K. The Extended Dorsal-Sheild Graft in Augmentation Rhinoplasty. ENT Journal. 2012 Dec; 91(12). First author and responsible for all aspects of study and publication. Impact Factor: 0.659.
17. Lin H, Folbe A, Carron M, Zuliani G, Chen W, Yoo G, Mathog R. Single-Incision Transaxillary Robotic Thyroidectomy: Challenges and Limitations in a North American Population. Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery. 2012 Dec; 147(6). doi: 10.1177/0194599812461610 Collaborator, I was one of many faculty involved in conceptual design and manuscript review. Impact Factor: 1.565. Revised: 7/29/15
18. Vandegriend ZP*, Zuliani G. Nasal Resurfacing with Xenographic Bladder Bioscaffold Following Excision of Massive Rhinophyma. J Oto Rhinol. 2012 Nov; 1:3 doi: 10.4172/2324-8785.100016. Senior author with oversight responsibility of study and publication.
19. Zuliani GF: Stem Cell Based Regenerative Medicine: What is Science? What is Fiction? And what is Science Fiction? J Otol Rhinol 2012 1:1 doi: 10.4172/2324-8785 Sole author of this review article.
20. Zuliani GF, Silver WE. Analysis of nasal ptosis correction using lower lateral to upper lateral cartilage suspension. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2011 Jan/Feb;13(1):26-30. Primary investigator with responsibility for all aspects of study and publication. Impact Factor: 1.646.
21. Coticchia J, Roeder D, Zuliani G, Gow A, Garbern J. Auditory testing profiles of pelizaeus-merzbacher disease. Int J Pediatr Otothinolaryngol Extra 2011; 6(1): 23-29. Doi: 10.1016/j.pedex.2010.01.001. Collaborator, I was one of many involved in conceptual design and manuscript review. I assembled the data for the project and constructed the poster for presentation. Impact Factor: 1.167.
22. Zuliani G, Carlisle M, Duberstein A, Haupert M, Syamal M, Berk R, Du W, Coticchia J. Biofilm density in the pediatric nasopharynx: recurrent acute otitis media versus obstructive sleep apnea. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2009 Jul;118(7):519-24. Resident investigator with responsibility for all aspects of study and publication with the exception of direct oversight of experiments and interpretation (Coticchia). Impact Factor: 1.048.
23. Silver WE, Zuliani GF. Management of the overprojected nose and ptotic nasal tip. Anesthet Surg J. 2009 May-Jun;29(3):253-8. doi: 10.1016/j.asj.2009.01.020. Co-author with responsibility for all aspects of study and publication. Impact Factor: 0.831.
Management of Penetrating Injuries to the Neck and Face in Atlas of Craniofacial Trauma, 2nd edition, Mathog RH et al, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2012
Special Senses of the Eye and Ear, The Language of Ophthalmology and Otology in Allen/Lockyer Medical Language for Modern Health Care, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, 2009